Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grandpa Heaton and other darling tales

Mason loves his Grandpa Heaton. With Daddy out of state, we've had an extra dose of extended family time. Lately, when I ask Mason if he wants to go to Grandma's he'll correct me and say "Grandpa's!".

These pictures are from the local nursery. This was one of my dad's first outings after his surgery. Mason toddled right after him the entire time. At one point Mason was distracted and Dad got away from him. Mason realized this, shouted "PApa!" and tried to catch up to him by the most direct route... right through the plants on the ground!

When we go to visit my parents, Mason always jogs to the den where Dad is resting and recovering to check in with him. Mason usually just makes sure he's there and then says "Be right back" while shaking his little finger and hustling out the door.Mason has started getting a little bossy with his Grandpa. I don't know how to describe it other than there is this tone he uses as he calls for him, bosses him around, and asks him for things.

Today I asked Mason if he wanted to go see Grandpa. He was so confused when he got out at the hospital where Dad has been admitted due to some complications. Mason gripped my finger as we hustled to Dad's room. (Mason hustles constantly. He finally figured out how to run a month or so back and now he books it everywhere!) When he saw Grandpa in bed he was very concerned. It took him a very long time to get up the courage to finally give him five as we left.

Tonight we had a quick dinner of soup and biscuits. I was too tired to do much else so I placed Mason on the bar and I sat on a stool in front of him. We ate like monkeys- no dishes, sharing, dipping, making a mess. I said, "Buddy I am so tired" and laid my head down in his lap. He wrapped his little arms around me and patted my neck. I pecked his cheek and we continued with our meal. After the next bite he reached out his arms to hold me again. I rested my head in his lap while he patted and giggled and was rewarded by another peck. We did this a dozen times until we were laughing too hard and my head was covered in crumbs.

Mason's verbal and signing vocabulary has really picked up. He's always asking "I draw?" and likes to sing with me. Today we were watching Signing Time and he was so intent on signing every single word. If I didn't sign along he'd say "Mama Bread!" or "Mama Banana!" until I did. I love how he signs Moon, Star, and Sun. Sun is especially entertaining. You draw a little circle in the air with one finger and then flick out all your fingers to show it's rays. When Mason does this with his serious little face it looks like he's casting a spell.

Lastly, I've been spoiling both of us since Jason has been away. All Mason's good habits will be long gone by the time we're together again. We have lazy mornings in which I lounge in bed while Mason destroys the house. Mason and I cuddle in bed and watch kid DVDs (he's really into covers lately and wants them pulled up to his chin. This makes for a lot of adjusting when watching signing videos and his hands have to be freed every 10 seconds and then covered up again). Nights get lonely so I tuck Mason in and then curl up in the recliner in his room and watch him fall asleep. He wiggles and rolls over at least a million times until he's comfy. Every now and then he'll stand up and sigh and lay down again. Lately he's taken to having a flashlight in bed to read books. Tonight he spent 10 minutes exploring every part of the ceiling with the light beam. Then he counted his fingers in the light. Once he was sure they were all there, he grabbed his giraffe, rolled on top of it, and was out like a light.

No comments: