Friday, October 23, 2009

Will it ever stop?

Poor Mason does not do well when he is teething. He had six teeth, no more no less, the entire summer. Then, as we hit the road to come home he started teething. I do not exaggerate when I say each one comes in separately and takes over two weeks to make their grand entrance. Also, his mouth has a mind of it's own. He got his top four before any on the bottom. Now he has three bottom teeth and big gaps until his new molars. Mason has always been a intense child, so happy or so sad. Teething turns him into a darling yet ferocious Tasmanian devil. I thought he was loud before but lately he makes a sound similar to a tornado siren. I desperately look forward to the day he'll have all his teeth and we can try to forget this frustrating little stage.

Since we've had mouths on our mind I thought I would share some teeth trivia for you. Surfing the web is an excellent coping mechanism to avoid giving in to your desires to tie up and muzzle your screaming child.

· An average person has 32 teeth. That number includes 4 wisdom teeth. We have 8 incisors, 4 canines, 12molars and 8 pre-molars.

Americans buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.

· Baby first teeth usually come in on the top front. They start coming in when they are about 6 or 7 months old.

· A child will usually have 20 teeth by age 2.

· A child will usually lose his first tooth when it is about 7.

· George Washington did not have teeth made out of wood, but he did have teeth made out if hippopotamus teeth. He also had teeth made out of ivory, lead, human teeth, and cow and sheep's teeth.

· Your teeth started forming before you were born.

· The bristles of toothbrushes were originally made from the hair of hogs and cows.

· A Chinese dentist once built a tower out of 28,000 human teeth.

· Sharks have at least 40 sets of teeth in their life time.

· What is the average amount of Tooth Fairy money given for a fallen baby tooth? $1.10

· The armadillo has as many as 104 teeth.... more than any other land animal.

· Rats must continually chew to keep their front teeth worn down. If they lose a top one, the bottom tooth will eventually grow up into that space and continue into their brain.

· Clark Gable & James Dean wore dentures.

· You will get fewer cavities if you eat a bag of candy in one sitting and then brush your teeth than if you slowly eat the candy a piece at a time all day.

· The average cost of braces for teeth is $5000.

· The JDRA has established a denture recycling network of over 200 locations throughout Japan, including dental offices, where people can drop off their unwanted dentures. The dentures are recycled and proceeds from the recovered precious metals are then donated to UNICEF and other organizations.


1 comment:

Brian M said...

Fascinating facts! (Both the internet-acquired, and the Mason-related) I really wanna see that tower made of human teeth.

You've probably already read about every possible anecdote... but here's ours: Brianna liked to chew on half-frozen carrots and zucchini sticks.

Now I must go eat an entire bag of candy then brush my teeth. I hear it's good for ya.