Friday, July 24, 2009

The 3 R's- Part I

Reading!
One day at the library we were asked if Mason had signed up for the reading program. You have to read 10 hours with your kid, and fill in a little bubble for each 10 minutes read. 10 hours? Easy, I read with Mason all time. I figured it would take me about two days. Three tops.
Fast forward a few weeks, add in some serious reading sessions and some very worn out books and we're finally done. Mason got a free aquarium pass, a bowling ticket, and a free book for reaching his (crazy mom's) goal. He picked a book full of messy kid pictures. Figures. I love that I'll check on him in his room and he's sitting on the floor reading a book. I don't even care that it's upside down.

I also love that he anticipates what is on the next page. One of his favorite books is Peek-a-Who? He tries to skip to the page, "peek-a-boo" because that's when I scare him. When we get to the "peek-a-choo choo" he knows he's in for train tickles on his tummy. The other night when I put him in bed I asked, "Do you know who loves you?" His response, "Who? Who?"

Other favorites: Big Plans, Big Smile Baby, Buzz Buzz Busy Bees, Haaatch, and Hungry Monsters.

Favorite reading quote: "It's not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting *ideas*, and *thinking*..."

What is your favorite kid book? I need to add some variety to our collection!

4 comments:

Kira said...

"Are you my mother?" and "Barnyard Dance" for little kids. . . when they get bigger "Magical Hands" is one of my favorites. That's so great that Mason loves books! Bracken still thinks they're for eating, if he takes any notice of them at all.

Ash said...

Thanks for the suggestions Kira. I'll check out those titles. My favorite is "The Carrot Seed" but Mason won't give it the time of day.

Hunter Cox Family said...

This is probably for when he gets older two but one of my favorites is Tikki Tikki Tembo and Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Love both your blogs they make me smile!

Ash said...

Thanks Rach. I too love Alexander.