Thursday, April 26, 2012

Johnny Law and The Peacemaker

Once, after Jason received an unfair (and pricey) ticket, I said I don't like cops. That's confusing to Mason so I borrowed the Johnny Law concept from my brother. I don't know exactly what Ben tells his kids but I think the general idea is that Johnny Law is the cop we don't like. He's the one that pulls over nice people and gives them tickets. Other police men are great and helpful but you gotta watch out for that Johnny Law. In typical sensitive Mason fashion, Mason always worries about the bad guy (including Laban and Satan). He's always asking about Johnny Law. Does he have a family? Is he happy? Why doesn't he want to be a good guy?

When we see police cars Mason asks if it's Johnny Law. If he doesn't want to sit in his car seat, we tell him Johnny Law will get us. Anyway, Jason and the boys came to help me set up at the Preparedness Expo. One of the other booths was my former employer, Lifetouch. They took this picture of Mason with an officer. I can't tell from his funny expression how he feels about this situation.

Lately I've been teaching Mason about being a peacemaker. He's grown up enough to understand choosing the right and being fair. It's a more complex idea to teach him to be a good person even when other people (ahem Eli) aren't being nice or when things aren't fair. There have been some great moments though, when I see him choosing to be a peacemaker. Usually anything Eli has, Mason thinks he should get. These two boys really get battling for toys just because they think the other brother wants it. On Sunday Mason gave the toy he was playing with to Eli to help him be happy and quiet in church. It was a small action but I can see how Mason is learning and growing up.

Today I got a call from Mason's teacher. She wanted to let me know there had been a fight at school involving Mason. She wasn't sure what all had happened and it was over quickly. She said Mason had been hit in the face pretty hard . I anxiously waited for his bus to arrive and ran out to meet him. No blood, bruises, or broken bones.

I asked him what happend. (By the way, Mason never tells me about school. Sometimes I bribe him for information. However, he'll tell Jason all sorts of details. Sometimes I eves drop from the other room so I can feel informed.) Mason said a boy named Atticus punched him in the nose.

What did you do?
When I asked Mason this question, I was torn as to what I wanted the answer to be. I know how I really want him to act. That's why I teach him about Jesus and reinforce his good behavior. I will also admit that if I heard he hit the boy back I wouldn't have been mad. Is that horrible? I know fighting isn't the answer, but I want him to know he doesn't have to take it. I want him to stand up for himself. I want him to stand up for others. I don't know how to teach him how to appropriately do that, especially when he's such a tender kid naturally. 

The answer was: Nothing. I asked him if he cried and he said yes. I asked him if he will still be nice to Atticus and he said yes with a look that said "why wouldn't I?"


No comments: