Wednesday, November 2, 2011

one of THOSE days

It's a school day. Mason got up, got dressed, and ate just fine. I thought that we were off to a great start. Then everything fell to pieces. His waist band starting bothering him. Something is wrong with Eli and Mason was really upset and concerned about his sick brother. He couldn't find Yellow Puppy and then he tripped when heading out to the bus. I think he was pretty hurt. He continued to the bus but his crying got louder with each step. I (barefoot in the snow) tried to convince him to come back inside and stay home or at least let me drive him to school. He said he wanted to go on the bus, but was still really crying. He got on, and they drove away.

I paced around for a bit, trying not to think of him sad, hurt, or embarrassed, and then called his teacher. I love that woman. I love how calming she was as she recognized I was the one needing comforting. Miss Clara promised to give him lots of love and make sure he was okay. She called back when the bus arrived and said he had recovered and was just fine.
I don't even know how to explain this picture from last week.

I can't stop thinking about what a difficult child I was and the heartache I caused my mom. Not only did I go to school screaming and crying most days the first couple years, but she had to drag me there. Mason still wanted to go and bravely did what he needed to do. I was the devil child who threw tantrums if my pony tail wasn't right. I always did everything I could to get out of going to school, even through high school. Mason on the other hand loves school days, has no fear or trepidation about going, and is so sad when he misses a day.

I often say Mason looks just like his dad and acts just like his Mom. He and I are more sensitive, more emotional, and have some sensory issues that make us a little finicky. But when Mason got on that bus today, I thought of Jason who rarely ever missed school and always goes to work no matter how sick he is. I think he got his bravery and dependability from his dad.

No comments: