Mason has always really loved stuffed animals. We've been given a lot of them, so that's a lot of love. He used to always have two that he'd play with, any two. The two lucky ones would change from day to day. Recently he started favoring just one. For a while it was a monkey, then an owl, then Harry the penguin. Then Yellow Puppy. Yes, that's his name. Mason is funny about names. He knows I love the name Sam so everything is named Sam or Sammy. Other than Sam, Mason just names them what they are. Like Yellow Puppy. Or Different Bear (the one that replaced Bear Bear).
Mason and Yellow Puppy have become exclusive. He's the animal of choice. He goes everywhere Mason goes. This means he gets lost everywhere Mason has been. We spend a lot of time searching for Yellow Puppy. I'm usually more blunt with natural consequences. As in "you didn't take care of your toy and now he's lost, good luck with that" but I can't be mean about Yellow Puppy. When Mason realizes he doesn't know where the dog is, he'll start into this long sad dialogue that doesn't cease until the limp raggedy dog is back in his arms.
It goes like this:
I don't know where Yellow Puppy is. Mom, where is Yellow Puppy? I can't find him and that makes me feel sad. I'm so sad and I miss my Yellow Puppy. I looked on my bed and he wasn't there.Yellow Puppy? My dog is lost and I'm so sad in my heart. Yellow Puppy is my best friend and I don't know where he is!
Mason goes on and on and he's sure the world is about to end. We'll find the dog and he perks right up. We repeat this at least a few times a day.
Today we thought Yellow Puppy was really lost. We looked everywhere. We texted Jason, called "Shama Heaton", and asked our neighbors. I even checked the laundry baskets and trash cans. Mason was so upset. We went to play in the backyard, hoping it would distract him from his woes. Mason went in a brought out a big basket of animals and started questioning them. Have you seen Yellow Puppy? He got to a black and white dog named Ding Dong that he passed down to Eli. Apparently the dog was acting suspicious and Mason was sure that Ding Dong knew where Yellow Puppy was and just wasn't telling him. He got on the phone in his toy jeep and was yelling at someone about the dogs and the conspiracy. I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying. But he was mad.
Fast forward an hour or so. Mason went inside and came out with glitter (no, you can't play with that) in one hand and Yellow Puppy in the other. I yelped in surprise and asked him where he found him. Mason looked down and seemed equally surprised to see the missing pup in his hand. I think he must have found him downstairs and tucked him under his arm without thinking about it. I still don't know where he found Yellow Puppy. And Mason still won't apologize to Ding Dong for falsely accusing him.
Of course Yellow Puppy went missing right before bed and we had to search him down again. Mason sure loves that dog. Here's my funny little man, fast asleep, with Yellow Puppy. He also has a moose and a penguin in there.
Mason and Yellow Puppy have become exclusive. He's the animal of choice. He goes everywhere Mason goes. This means he gets lost everywhere Mason has been. We spend a lot of time searching for Yellow Puppy. I'm usually more blunt with natural consequences. As in "you didn't take care of your toy and now he's lost, good luck with that" but I can't be mean about Yellow Puppy. When Mason realizes he doesn't know where the dog is, he'll start into this long sad dialogue that doesn't cease until the limp raggedy dog is back in his arms.
It goes like this:
I don't know where Yellow Puppy is. Mom, where is Yellow Puppy? I can't find him and that makes me feel sad. I'm so sad and I miss my Yellow Puppy. I looked on my bed and he wasn't there.Yellow Puppy? My dog is lost and I'm so sad in my heart. Yellow Puppy is my best friend and I don't know where he is!
Mason goes on and on and he's sure the world is about to end. We'll find the dog and he perks right up. We repeat this at least a few times a day.
Today we thought Yellow Puppy was really lost. We looked everywhere. We texted Jason, called "Shama Heaton", and asked our neighbors. I even checked the laundry baskets and trash cans. Mason was so upset. We went to play in the backyard, hoping it would distract him from his woes. Mason went in a brought out a big basket of animals and started questioning them. Have you seen Yellow Puppy? He got to a black and white dog named Ding Dong that he passed down to Eli. Apparently the dog was acting suspicious and Mason was sure that Ding Dong knew where Yellow Puppy was and just wasn't telling him. He got on the phone in his toy jeep and was yelling at someone about the dogs and the conspiracy. I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying. But he was mad.
Fast forward an hour or so. Mason went inside and came out with glitter (no, you can't play with that) in one hand and Yellow Puppy in the other. I yelped in surprise and asked him where he found him. Mason looked down and seemed equally surprised to see the missing pup in his hand. I think he must have found him downstairs and tucked him under his arm without thinking about it. I still don't know where he found Yellow Puppy. And Mason still won't apologize to Ding Dong for falsely accusing him.
Of course Yellow Puppy went missing right before bed and we had to search him down again. Mason sure loves that dog. Here's my funny little man, fast asleep, with Yellow Puppy. He also has a moose and a penguin in there.



No comments:
Post a Comment