Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Why don't you just move out to your own place next?"

When I was pregnant with Mason I heard that one of parents' favorite topics of conversation was potty talk. I vowed I would never be like that.

Whoops. I sort of see now that bathroom...accomplishments...are a big part of development for kids. I still think there is a time and place (and time limit) to which parental bragging should occur. Well, here's mine!

My sister asked me two days ago if Mason was potty trained. I responded no, that while he spends most of his life in underwear, I'll consider him potty trained when he can do the whole process on his own. That means without coercion, reminders, and physically helping him do each step.

I guess he heard me say that because that very day he started visiting the bathroom on his own. For the past few days his continued to do super awesome. So, sorry Mason. I hope writing this doesn't embarrass you in the future. We're just so proud of you.

It usually starts with him stopping what ever he's doing, shouting "One minute!" and running to the bathroom. When he's done he'll come find us with his clothes in hand, yell "I did it!" while throwing his hands high in the air, and will even share what exactly he did. (I have BIG pee! or Mama, I poot!). We help him back into his pants and wash up.

I can't believe he's so coordinated and doing so well. I know he'll still have accidents from time to time, but it's been really nice not buying diapers for the past few months. And it's especially nice to have him do much more on his own. My big pregnant stomach has had a hard time bending over to help him.

Oh, and as for the title! After Mason went by himself the first time I asked Jason if he'd helped him. When he said no, I told him that Mason just did it all by himself. J responded by yelling down the hall "Good job buddy. Why don't you just move out to your own place next?"

No comments: