Monday, July 19, 2010

The Great Escape

Today we had a horrible, horrible experience. Our Alabama apartment is on the second story with an outside entrance. Also, the door doesn't latch very well. Also, Mason is old enough that he plays on his own pretty well, sometimes in another room. You know where I'm headed with this...

I was in the master bathroom getting ready for the day. Mason came in a gave me his diaper (he's been taking off his diaper and telling the closest adult "I peed"). I told him thanks and changed my shirt. Some time here Jason left to go to an outside garage where he stores equipment for work. When I came out with my new shirt on I called for Mason to put a new diaper on. I came out in the hall and saw the door open. Our apartment is small enough that I knew in 5 seconds that he was gone. I ran out the door and he wasn't there. I ran to the far staircase. He wasn't there. I ran back and Jason was crossing the parking lot. I yelled to him that I couldn't find Mason and he instantly knew I was serious.

Jason ran straight to the pool and I double checked the closets (because Mason really does like to hide in closets and cupboards). Jason ran to Dan and Jessica's apartment because that's the only place Mason really knows. I think at that point I was checking the staircases and running around the parking lot. I was absolutely panicked. I think my heart just froze during these few frantic moments.

Then I heard Mason's voice. "Mama. Mama! I peed". I could tell the general direction the sound it was coming from and ran. I think it was this point, even before I saw him, that tears came to my eyes. He was in the apartment staircase across the parking area from ours. He was still diaperless, barefoot, wearing a hand-me-down oversized Spider Man T-shirt, and had Jason's toothbrush in hand. And yes, he did pee on the cement stairs, thank heavens. I don't know why he left the house, or why he went somewhere we've never taken him, I am just so grateful the ordeal ended the way that it did.

We had a busy day of adventures, swimming at the pool, crafts, a goodbye dinner for Jessica, and a visit from the handy man to fix the door. I was more grateful, more aware, more in love with my little guy every minute of it. I certainly learned how quickly things can go wrong.

2 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

My heart rate went up a little just reading that!

Mary said...

I'm so glad you found him safe! And that the handyman could come that same day.