Friday, June 26, 2009

One of those moments



Yesterday Mason got his 12month immunizations. Earlier rounds went okay because he was younger and less aware of what was going on. This time was pretty rough. We had to restrain poor Mason and the shots just kept coming. I tried to console him by telling him "I know this hurts but it's not as bad as measles. I know that shot was bad but now you don't have to have chicken pox." I don't think it made any sense to him, but saying it made me feel better. It was definitely one of those moments when I would have done anything to take the shots in his place. It took a lot of courage and Jason's support to keep me from scooping up my bawling baby and dash out the door.

Thankfully he's doing really well since the ordeal. He was actually in really high spirits last night. He assured us with a million delightful smiles and chirps that he wasn't still mad at us.

Is it just part of being a parent that you will have these moments? Does it ever get easier, and how old is the child before they realize that the decisions we made were really for his best interest?

1 comment:

chelsea mckell said...

I didn't realize my parents weren't out to ruin my life til about the end of highschool. So hopefully our kids figure it out before then :)

They shot him in the arm?! Brianna's never been shot anywhere besides her chunky thighs. Arms.... sheesh - that must have been tough to hold him down!